Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Run Joni, Run!!!

St. George Marathon! My little sister flew into Las Vegas and shuttled to St. George for Marathon weekend. I drove over to St. George Friday evening and hung out with her. I hadn't seen her for over a year and it was so fun to hang out with her and be with her on this fun weekend! We had a hotel room and we hung out all night (we did get a few hours of sleep) and in the morning I took her to meet up with her friend Brooke. Then I just hung out and waited until it was time to go to the finish line. Our older sister was suppose to be here but she had some car troubles and didn't make it until Joni had crossed the finished line. :o(

Joni's goal was to finish under 4 hours and she did it! Her time was around 3 hours and 57 minutes. Twenty-six point two miles is a long run! My parents have run many marathons and this was Joni's second. I'm not sure if I would ever run a marathon (i'm not saying I wouldn't, but i'm not saying I would). After the race Joni met up with me and she started feeling really light headed. At one point she told me she couldn't see color, all she could see was white. So I helped her lay down on the grass and she rested for a bit but she still wasn't feeling right so Evan (brooks husband) and I took her to the first aid tent. Long story short, they ended up giving her an IV to get fluid (salty water or something) into her body and then she started feeling better. Of course she was tired and sore (she just ran 26.2 miles) but the dizzy, and fainting spells were getting better! By this time Jen had arrived and we headed back to the hotel to get Joni cleaned up. We then all went to dinner and then Joni had to catch the shuttled back to Vegas. It was fun to all be together even though it was a short time. Jen followed me back to Kanab and stayed two nights before heading back up north. We didn't get pictures of us all together and of course are kicking ourselves. It was a bit of a rushed time together and pictures just didn't happen. Sorry mom! :o(

But, I did take a few pictures of Joni and I and mostly race stuff...enjoy!



Micro chip on shoe to track exact time. It's activated as soon as it crosses the start line. There are thousands of runners and it may take some time to finally get to the starting line.

Joni talking to mom...last minute advice!

Joni and Brooke before the blessed event!

Joni is in the green tank top and 3/4 length black pants.

Headin' in to the finish line!

Pointing to where I can go meet her!

Lady bug sticker on her number...my mom was with her every step of the way! :o)

Joni laying down before she past out.

Getting the IV

2 comments:

Jon and Janice said...

Thanks so much for helping to make me part of your weekend, it means a lot. I am so glad that you girls get a long so well. SLY mom

aaron and joni said...

bean, bean, bean.....I LOVE YOU! And I really want you to know that.
And I'll love you forever.
Sly